Monday 6 January 2020

Film Industry: I, Daniel Blake


1) What is independent cinema and how is it different to Hollywood blockbusters?

Independent films have a small budget and are supported by public service broadcasters, film institutions and charity funding. They are also distributed by smaller companies whereas with Hollywood Films, Movies are distributed by huge and well-known companies, Hollywood films also have a bigger budget and are sometimes filmed in various places. 

2) What is I, Daniel Blake about?

I, Daniel Blake is about a 59 year old man who has worked as a joiner most of his life in the North East of England who needs help from the state for the first time in his whole life. Daniel crosses paths with a single mother (Katie) who has two young children named Daisy and Dylan. Katie's only chance to escape a one roomed homeless hostel in London is too accept a flat 300 miles away. This is a powerful message that talks about the strugl


3) Who directed I, Daniel Blake and why is this important?


Ken Loach directed I, Daniel Blake and this is important because Loach's style is social realism - telling stories that represent the lives of ordinary working-class people and the social issues they face therefore consumers can relate to this movie. 

4) How was I, Daniel Blake promoted to an audience? List at least three different methods used by the film's marketing campaign.


  • A partnership set up with Trinity Mirror to run a marketing campaign based on the film.
  • Secret Cinema youth screening 
  • Finally, a video was released using members of the public and politicians that supported the film’s message.


5) What unusual or creative marketing methods were used to get audiences talking about the film?

They used a preview screening, a hashtag, they asked Trinity Mirror to represent I, Daniel Blake, they created merch and they posted a trailer on multiple social media platforms.

6) What was the estimated production budget for I, Daniel Blake and how much did it make at the box office?

The production budget for I, Daniel Blake was 20,000 pounds (I think, or 2000?) and it made 2 million pounds at the box office. 

7) How can independent films like I, Daniel Blake compete with Hollywood blockbusters like Doctor Strange?

I, Daniel Blake competes with Hollywood blockbusters like Doctor Strange because it was an independent film but it still made quite a huge amount of money.

8) In your opinion, was I, Daniel Blake a success?


In my opinion I, Daniel Blake was a huge success considering it was an independant film.